Monday, July 21, 2008

Focus Don't Fret

Dearest Goddesses,

I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of Eric Maisel's offer for free creativity coaching for his coaches in training and I'm working with Theresa over the past few weeks. Well the past few weeks I've felt like I've been having a quarter life crisis or something. Perhaps it's the location of the planets, or my 35th birthday, or my current environment or circumstances. This is not an "I want to be 21 again" at all - but more what have I done with the time I've had and what do I want to do moving forward. I shared my frustration with Theresa and she had this great response that I wanted to share with you.

"On those "big-bad-big-question" days, as I call 'em, I gotta just sit down, be still, and ask myself...what will it be TODAY? Focusing instead of fretting seems to help me best through those days. "

Focus don't fret. Choose something. It doesn't have to be the "right" something, it doesn't have to be what gets you on Oprah or is your million dollar idea, just focus, don't fret.

Focus has always been hard for me. Like making a choice on a diner menu - there is so much out there, so much to choose from, so much I'm interested in - how could I possibly focus on only ONE thing? And I suppose what I've been having the most trouble with is defining what it is I can offer people - what is my calling and instead of focusing on one thing - I fret and fret and instead notice where I am lacking in each area of my life, where I'm not qualified, where I don't have support, etc.

So this week, I focus on me - who I am for people, what I am on this earth to contribute - I welcome your feedback (who I am for you - how you see me in the world) And I welcome you on this same inquiry with me. Let us enjoy the warm fires of Brigid inspiring us this week (make sure you check her out!)

Remember - focus don't fret.

Love to you,
Patty

2 comments:

Rowena said...

Oh no! I missed your birthday! And your anniversary! You would have liked my brother's wedding though, on the top of a mountain.

Who you are for me, a creative partner and dear friend and soul sister. So knock it off! ;)

What I am focusing on for me is my new/not so new dream. I want to buy a farm, renovate the outbuildings and have a creative compound/commune/retreat. Wanna play that game with me? Upstate NY or Northern California or someplace else wonderful?

Sugar Jones said...

I tend to easily lose focus and lose sight. I forget that it's the little things that help us to build and prepare for the "big" things. I learned an acronym that has helped me. F.O.C.U.S. Follow One Course Until Successful. Sometimes that means sticking to a plan for my photography business. Or it might mean to complete this thought in my writing before setting down the pen. Still other times, it just means fold the clothes as they come out of the dryer.

I can let a lot of things bog me down when my life is getting chaotic. Focusing isn't always easy, but those little letters are a helpful reminder.