Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Embracing Your Shadow

Dearest Goddesses,

Well I think that Embracing The Shadow is a perfect place to begin the year. Embracing the Shadow instead of trying to ignore it, change it, force it, mold it, challenge it, belittle it – EMBRACE IT! For only when we truly embrace our shadow and understand its point of view can we do anything to try to make a difference in our lives. I have an awesome example that I love to use that fits this idea perfectly…

When I was living in New York, I got a lot of parking tickets. So, I would put it in my bill pile for when I sat down and did my bills and by the time I did that, I would think that I didn’t have the money to pay for the tickets – OR, better yet, I would write the check, put a stamp on the envelope and then put the envelope in my bag where it would sit for weeks. So, time goes on, penalties begin to accrue and instead of a $35 ticket, the charges are now $65 and now I really don’t have the money and the check that I wrote that is still sitting in my bag is useless. But if you wait long enough and don’t DEAL with the tickets – either in the form of payment or going to the municipality and haggling, the city gives your information to the Marshalls who come and tow your car. So instead of a $35 ticket and just paying it – it was $150 for the towing, $25 for the storage fees, $65+ for the ticket. Ignoring the ticket NEVER worked, making myself wrong for this vicious cycle – also NEVER worked. The shadow – my anger, at not having better habits, of not being more responsible, of the fact that I was working so hard and didn’t have enough money to take care of all of my bills, that other people had it so easy, (I could go on and on) – was never embraced, I just ignored it, I just let it fester and when the marshall came – I added the “injustice” of the city of New York to the things that I was angry about. And although I’m not getting parking tickets anymore – I see that I need to do some work embracing my anger – that feisty warrior. She has value to add to my life and I am ignoring her and it is permeating through many aspects of my life. Phew – and I thought I was going to share a funny story about my vicious parking ticket cycle.

Patty’s Challenge: Work with the Ritual Journey for Innana

More about the shadow tomorrow –

Many blessings,

Patty

No comments: