Friday, March 7, 2008

Freedom of Choice

Dearest Goddesses,

I was chatting with John on my way to the Internet café today about the idea of rhythm and its connection to clarity. He had some very interesting things to say – that for him rhythm is experiential – it’s something he either knows he’s experiencing or is clear that he’s not. Not really knowing what actually affects rhythm, he did think that there was something about consistency that related or affected rhythm. Consistency of purpose – which links to clarity, for it’s that purpose that I keep getting stuck on. And so one thing that I’ve allowed myself to be consistent with – is getting stopped!

I think he’s definitely on to something. One thing he’s great at is making a decision and then seeing it through to the end. He gets stopped – but it’s usually temporary – and then he perseveres. I’m not short of great ideas, it’s facing the decision, the choice and then seeing it through that evades me. My consistency is getting to a certain point with a project and then getting distracted with another project that might be “better”. Clarity, choice and then consistency of purpose.

I read a great book called Life Paint & Passion and the basis of the book was just allowing yourself to create. Setting up your creative space, choosing a paintbrush, choosing a color and just creating. It is an awesome exercise for people like me who sometimes feel like they have to have it all figured out ahead of time before they get started. You don’t need to know where the painting is going to lead, you don’t have to have a vision in your mind – it’s all about the process – of choosing a paint brush, choosing a color and then putting it on the page. When you feel complete, the painting is done.

My challenge for you for the weekend would be to do this exercise. Get a piece of paper, some paint brushes and paint (or watercolors or crapaas or colored pencils or crayons or even cut out images for a collage…) see what you are attracted to and place it on the paper. Don’t think, don’t edit, just be…

Have a great weekend…

Love to you,

Patty

P.S. I just finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (THANK YOU MAURA!!) and it was simply fantastic. It is a must read for anyone, but especially to those who have any connection to Brooklyn.

No comments: